Welcome to Alt-N's Idea Engine

Listening to our customers is more than part of our mission statement, it is part of our culture. Do you have an idea that can improve our products or process? Please share it with us!

How can we improve?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I'd like to be able to choose wich dns server securitygateway uses when it

I'd like to be able to choose wich dns server securitygateway uses when it delivers mail and do lookups, today it uses the dns from Windows network settings, Id like to be able to enter for example my isps dns in SecurityGateway. I Think Mdeamon has this functionality.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  SecurityGateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Outlook Plug-in or Method to Send to SpamLearn and NonSpamLearn

Need an Outlook Plug-in or some easy method for users to send spam that has reached their inbox to send messages to the provided SpamLearn@ address. Likewise there needs to be an easy method to use the NonSpamLearn@. As another user posted, there is no option to flag these on the quaratine views. What is particularly disturbing is that there is no documented procedure for users to flag delivered messages as spam that I can see.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  SecurityGateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Clustering and SQL Server

Add support for clustering on SG, and also the ability to use SQL Server as a database. This will resolve the single-point-of-failure issue with the product, and hopefully help improve performance when dealing with a very large DB.

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  SecurityGateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ability to view attachments from emails log

It would be goo to have the ability to view attachments when browsing the log of messages ?

Now that we are installing SecurityGateway at all our customers to replace their Barracuda units, we are finding that we often come across this limitation as, often, an end-user asks us to locate a particular email with a specific attachment. On their old Barracuda anti-spam appliances the feature was there.

With SG we have to get SG to deliver the email and then ask the user if that is the correct attachment - very time consuming !!

Michel

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Option to HOLD undeliverable email to invalid email addresses for configured domains

The SG currently rejects all email not associated with a user account or alias. It would be great to have an option that either passes this email to the inside servers or HOLD the undeliverable email to enable the Admin to determine its disposition or change its Recipient email address.

The Default for this option should be the current behavior of rejecting email to invalid recipients and replying to the sender with an Non-delivery 550 email.

This feature is important to us because not all of our customers have 100% typing accuracy when it comes to email addresses. This also…

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Option to Drop Connection Immediately upon DNSBL or Blacklist IP Lookup Found

The IP Blacklist and DNSBL actions should have the option to drop the SMTP connection immediately after learning that the source IP is black listed. The reason to drop the connection immediately is to reduce the additional processing that is essentially wasted if the policy is to reject the email.

The Blacklist IPs and DNSBL should be examined ASAP after connection to minimize the time to decide to drop a listed connection. Dropping the listed connection ASAP reduces the chance of an SPAM or SMTP attack from overloading the SG.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Showing Whitelisted entries as such in the logs

Hello,

Our background is Barracuda and this request is straight from our experience following our switch from Barracuda to Security Gateway.

At the moment, the SG log shows all delivered mail as "Delivered" in green.

The problem with this is that, in the first month of fine tuning a new installation, one has to look at each individual "Delivered" mail to work out if it was delivered because it was whitelisted or simply because it passed the spam checks. Then, when you know it passed the spam checks, you then examine it to check if you should blacklist the sender,…

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Long Running (stay connected) and Live Log Display (refresh interval)

I really like the MDaemon client's log that can be continually live for administrator viewing.
                  I would like to see something similar in the SG. I would like to see options for the web client:
                  1) Length of time to stay connected before auto logging out

Options right on the detail Logs and Messages Logs (All, Quarantine, etc) screens:
                  2) Automatic Log Refresh (enable/disable checkbox) and refresh interval

Behavior for the Messages Logs (All, Quarantine, etc.)
                  3) Disable Automatic Logging when any of the Message links are clicked. Uncheck the Automatic Logging checkbox immediately when disabling the Automatic Logging.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • SPF and Sender ID Option to Evaluate the FROM Domain

Currently, SG only evaluates SPF and Sender ID using a hidden "MAIL FROM" value in the protocol. It would be really nice if the EMail Domain displayed in all of the Message and Quarrantine logs and search options could be used for the SPF evaluation. After all, it is the Visible FROM Email Address impersonation that causes end users to open email from invalid senders. We are having trouble with malware email being sent from infected PCs where the MAIL FROM domain matches the SPF - but the FROM displayed to the users is totally impersonated.

Another option to increase…

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Arnold,

SecurityGateway is evaluating SPF and SenderID based on the specification for each. The SenderID specification includes the use of the Purported Responsible Address (PRA), which takes the From field into account.

There are many legitimate circumstances where the MAIL FROM address does not match the FROM address, rejecting messages based on this would likely yield false positives but adding a small value to the spam score could be beneficial.

Evaluating a sub domain based on the SPF and/or SenderID records of the parent domain could yield undesired results. In my opinion, the best approach if for domain owners to add SPF and SenderID records for each of their domains and subdomains. This allows the owner of the domain to tell the world who should and should not be sending email using that specific domain name.

With all that being said, we will consider adding the ability…

• IPs and Hostnames exemption list for SPF and Rate Control processing

Hello Support,

I would like to make a request for an exceptions list of IPs and Hostnames for SPF processing.

-----------------------------

Here is the problem. We, and many of our clients (we are an IT company), come from a background of Barracuda anti-spam units.

On a Barracuda you can specify some hosts or IPs that you want excluded from the Barracuda's equivalent of Security Gateway's SPF processing. Typically one uses that list specifically and only for the hosts addresses of one's Backup MX queues.

On Security Gateway, you cannot, with the following results :

a) Internet line goes down, so…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Michel,

Per feature whitelists will be considered for future versions. In the meantime there is a potential work around which I believe has already been shared with you, but I’ll share it for the benefit of everyone.

As a short term work around, you can use a custom SIEVE script for the SPF test. You will need to disable the built-in test, and replace it with something like.

require [“securitygateway”,“reject”,“fileinto”,“envelope”];

if not ip :is [“80.168.44.51”, “195.8.69.18”, “213.253.3.180”]
                        {
                        // cut paste text of system generated sieve script here
                        if allof(not whitelisted,not auth “succeeded”,not ip “des”) {
                        if lookup “spf” “fail” {
                        fileinto “spam”;
                        }
                        if lookup “spf” “softfail” {
                        spamscore “2.0”;
                        }
                        }

}

Thanks,

Arron

• Spam quarantine delegate user rights

Allow users to setup delegate rights to their own spam quarantine for other users of Security Gateway.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Security Gateway: SIZE check with Destination MTA during SMTP Session

During the SMTP session with external MTA, have SG check size with eventual destination MTA

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Whitelists for individual features.

In addition to the global whitelist in SG, I would like to have individual whitelists for each feature. I may need to allow one person to bypass the antivirus or content filter or prevent them from being tarpitted. Currently I have now way of allowing this without bypassing everything by putting them in the whitelist.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Search white and black lists

Add search function for blacklist and whitelist

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add Up/Down buttons or priority setting for DNSBL services

When using more than 1 DNSBL service and planning to stop DNSBL lookups after the first found listing, it is important to be able to set the sequence in which the DNSBLs are searched. Right now, the only way to change the sequence is to erase the DNSBL services entries and re-enter them in the desired sequence.
                                For example:

MyPrivateDNSBL.net
                                bl.spamcop.com
                                zen.spamhaus.org

It's not a high priority idea. Just a user friendly touch.

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Option to HOLD email sent with "Delivery Failure" result

Currently the SG does not retain email that it fails to deliver. I propose that there be an option to retain undeliverable email pending review and dispostion by an administrator.
                                  This would be most valuable for initial configurations where the person setting up the system is trying to develop the best setup between the SG and inside email server(s). The Default for this option can be the current behavior to simply clear messages with permanent delivery failure.

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Arnold,

Thank you for submitting your idea to add an option to hold inbound email that cannot be delivered to the domain mail server. Enabling the option to not delete message content after a permanent delivery failure should work for you. We will consider adding additional options for the handling of inbound email for future versions of SecurityGateway.

Thanks,
                                    Arron

• Message Logs

Make it possible to export filtered message logs to CSV for analysis

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Disclaimer directly beneath current reply

It would be nice to have an option to add a disclaimer only to the current reply part of an email, so that it is always directly beneath the current reply, instead of being added to the far end of the mail body.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Increase the Global Protocol Timeout to allow larger inbound emails

Need to be able to increase the timeout configuration for receiving inbound SMTP email. 180 seconds is not long enough.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your idea with us. This timer does not require the entire message to be received in 180 seconds. When receiving inbound emails SecurityGateway waits 180 seconds for data to be received on the socket. Basically when receiving an email SecurityGateway will wait for 3 minutes and if no data is received in 3 minutes it times out. As long as data is being received SecurityGateway will wait as long as it takes for the entire message to be delivered.

Allowing this timer to be customized will be considered for future versions.

Thanks again,

Arron

• Email save button in Log view

Could we add a button to save locally a mail (EML of MSG format) from the Log View page
                                          Thanks
                                          Eric

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for the additional information, we will consider adding a button to save a message to disk for future versions. In case it helps anyone, this can already be done with the current version by copying the source of the email from within SG and pasting it into a TXT file using notepad or any other text editor.

Thanks,
                                            Arron

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Alt-N's Idea Engine

Feedback and Knowledge Base